Pros Fabulous Screen
turn-by-turn voice GPS Nav
Cons Speaker phone a bit weak and on the back
Summary Can't say enough good things about this phone. I have had it for 2 weeks (Bell in Canada) and have been using/configuring it non-stop.
My daughter has an ipod touch so am well versed with the apple issues. To make it clear, I think iPhones and iPod touches are great devices; where they fall short is their connectivity to iTunes. Sorry Apple, I'm not about to store my CC on your server or buy top up cards when my money can stay in my bank. Also, having to sync with iTunes and keep that bloated/glitchy piece of software on your computer is a non-starter. Android = copy/paste via USB....no syncing invloved. You can also use the Samsung Kies app to transfer files to and from your computer via wifi. It's a great app, very functional but also slower than copy/paste (not nearly as slow as iTunes though!) You can also download app from market for wifi transfer but haven't tried one yet.
LOVE this phone...no lag!! In point form...
1. Screen - 10+
2. Call quality - 10
3. Build - 8 - I think it feels fine in the hand but does have flimsy plastic back. It does have gorilla glass! I did not purchase a screen protector. I purchased a case-mate case with kick-stand...it is awesome! highly recommend....found it at T-Booth outlets also available from case-mate.com)
4. Camera - 7 - It's an excellent camera for a phone...am comparing it to my Canon still digital
5. Video - 8 - 1080p HD...GREAT for a phone....again, comparing to stand-a-lone video.
6. Speaker - 7 (It is a little weak, in terms of volume but quality is ok)
7. Tethering - 8 - can tether via wifi but not USB. Driver is missing for Win7 64 bit...I believe it is not installed for any computer. This is not an issue as the best way to connect is via wifi...works flawlessly.....and connect your USB at the same time to keep the phone charged.
8. Contacts - 10 - Love how you can merge contacts eliminating any duplicate contact issues. All contacts can be merged from virtually any online service including facebook, skype, twitter etc.
9. Email - 10 - Email is GREAT. I use IMAP email and it works flawlessly. This device does support MS exchange although I do not have an exchange account.
10. messaging - 9 - It's all great but would like 1 or 2 more message views. I do like the message bubbles but would like 1 or 2 other options.
11. Apps - 10 - I have found everthing I've ever needed! I recommend replacing the video player with QQplayer. An excellent app for all radio isTuneIn radio. Don't even bother with the facebook app...too bloated. I also tried Friendcaster; it's better but not really worth the install. Just use facebook mobile in the stock internet browser....it's way better! Add Facebook to your social hub and all events etc. will be automatically added to your calendar! Try World Newspapers or download AG news specific to your country. Only disappointment is Skype. S2 IS supposed to be supported now but it still doesn't work on mine.....that is Skype's issue though.....I'm sure it'll be updated sooner than later...can't have Skype video not work on a superphone! Audio skyping does work fine and people say the audio is excellent on their end too. I'm too busy to play games on my phone so can't answer to apps that are time wasters. I'm a musician so have found useful apps such as tuners, keyboards etc. Also found excellent marine navigation maps app for my husband.
12. Functionality - 10 - No need for an app killer because TouchWiz 4.0 comes with a task manager where you can kill all apps and also kill programs running in RAM. There is also an "Active Applications" widget where you can instantly go and kill apps. Even with many apps running I don't experience any lag. You can also change fonts!
13. GPS services - 8 - GPS navigation by Google works great for turn by turn voice navigation! I only give it an 8 due to the limitation of Google maps....other mapping companies are more accurate but I'm too cheap to pay. I give the software itself a 10, great graphics and the synth voice is decent.
14. Streaming - 10 - You can stream TV for $5/month....CTV, CBC, YTV etc. ....sounds like a good travel option to me! Haven't tried it but I'm sure it will work well. I have tons of data and youtube works like a dream!
15. TV connectivity - 10 (probably) - HDMI out. I already have a number of movies on my phone....when travelling or at a friend's house just connect the mini-usb to HDMI to the TV and voicla! You can watch whatever is on your phone on a TV! I have found them online for $20. Haven't tried it but I'm sure it will work as everything else has.
16. Music - 10 - Player is highly configurable and the ability to copy/paste files is "priceless" compared to you-know-who. Download "Dood's music thing" for the Android equivalent of Grooveshark! It is awesome!!
17. Browsing - 10 - Pinch and zoom works great...fast browsing. When viewing a site not optimized for mobile, just double tap the area you want to read and it will re-size automatically to fit the screen....double tap again to return it to its original size. Flash....what else is there to say?
18. Voice Commands - 10+ - Voice commands are AMAZING! I believe that some are added by Samsung TouchWiz 4.0.....way to go! The voice commands are the biggest advance that I have found most useful over my old phone.
19. Blue Tooth - 10 - works great! Have finally been able to use a Bluetooth headset I bough a couple of years ago. I never used it on my old phone because it didn't have voice commands. Love it!
20. Battery - 8 - I get a full day with a decent amount of use. Same with my old LG...I was satified. I've heard tales of woe about the battery but mine is fine. The old palm pre was HORRIBLE and I believe the new HTC Sensation is having far more battery life issues than the S2. That's one of the reasons I chose the S2 over the Sensation; I waited for user reviews because having to charge your phone every 3-5 hours isn't good enough .....BUT don't expect to get battery life you did on a phone without an OS!
Final words....I don't miss a harware camera button. In fact, I find the software button easier to use and the camera's response time is excellent. Just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this phone......I'm sure I've missed something but the newest Andoid experience is unequalled. I have been an Andorid user for 2 years but my last phone had many limitations because of the hardware.
FINALLY AN IPHONE KILLER....!!!!!!!!!
Multi multi multi options for tweaking.
Cons Battery quickly runs empty of course, like all smartphones. But easy to improve by installing battery saving apps.(really it works!)
Call quality is not that good but better when calling with bluetooth device or the standard in-earplugs.
Summary Had a HTC Desire before this one and considered purchasing an iPhone(what was i thinking)..
Already used to Android and carefully following developments in the smartphones OS-buisness i read about Androids 2.3 Gingerbread and thought "hay" thats me. Samsung, next to Motorola, were the first to bring out phones with Gingerbread. I did not really have to think long when my phone company offered this beauty to me as a follow up for signing up another few years with them.
I realy love the fact that it's very very fast and has an amazing screen quality. Some say the iPhone's screen is better but.....mine's bigger and i have been comparing with my boss his iPhone 4...it's really not that much better. If you are really wanting to get the best out of the screen you can even improve some setttings by installing apps developed by guy's ho have been tweaking the OS and in the end getting the most out of your Samsung. I have installed an app that alowes better video performance than the standard onboard Samsung(Android) app.
My boss had to admit that he has got the feeling that having an iPhone is like visiting a beautiful country but only the dictator regime determines what you are going to see and what not.
Lot's of cons with iPhone in the mail and calendar-department whereas Android has multi-possibilities when it comes to office functionallity. I could go on for hours but i think i've said enough.
No Apple for me period. With my extra 32 Gb memory card i really love this Galaxy S2.
Pros 1.Jaw - Dropping Screen and Hardware is too bloody Fast.(which means No lags at all)
2.Seroiusly Very thin and Light
3.Camera delivers more than expected for both videos and photos.(Pics looks awesome on the phones screen so no need for a pc)
4.The best p
Cons Yet to find....seriously !!!
SummaryAnd i cant understand why cnet wont believe that this phone is actually a better smartphone than atrix 4g or the sick iphone4..plz rate it accordingly..i mean 9 points for performance to atrix and 8 to galaxys2.you guys are really biased man!!!
Updated on Jul 12, 2011
Pros 1. Dual-core processor
2. Large screen size
3. Android 2.3
4. 8MP camera (not using it much since I have my DSLR)
5. User interface
Cons 1. Battery life lasts 1 day at most
2. Antenna heats up after using wifi and packet data for a long time
3. Voice command wont work if packet data is switched off
4. Nothing on the user manual as to how to use it in-depth
5. Card slot hard to access
Summary The S2 is a great phone to begin with. It was able to rival and excel over the iPhone4 in many ways. However, there are a few quirks that needed to be ironed out on the phone itself. Voice command won't work as expected as compared to other phones. Battery life isn't as good as others (my E75 lasts me around 2 days on one charge). But in general use, the phone is a marvel. Fast, slim, lightweight and a screen size that might have earned it a title of a mini-tablet.
"Great Phone."on by dickmo69
Pros Really Cnet? You're listing the lack of a dedicated hardware camera button as a con? Did you deduct points for that on the iPhone review?
Cons Plastic body keeps the weight down, would have preferred a nicer composite for durability and strength.