Pros Can't find any at all
Cons Read On Below. Too many to itemise
Summary I was called in to help a client who bought this as a "solution to their problems". Pity they didn't realise it was a solution of sodium cyanide.
Ok where do I start ? Well, the "install" was OK, except that instantly it finished, it wanted to download a 55 Meg "upgrade", and the one it downloaded automatically then fell at the first hurdle complaining that we were trying to upgrade a UK package with a USA-variant of the upgrade.
As many people out there have already testified, the software now creates its own private instance of Sql Server, so private that no-one is allowed to know the admin password. So backing up might be a bit of a problem.
Import / Conversion of an ACT 6 database appeared to go reasonably well, but then the grief starts.
"Synchronisation" is a right laugh - unless you buy the "Premium" product.
But the star of the show is their downright awful database import / merge functionality. By ACT's own admission merging one database with another WONT merge "attachments" so that's a bit of a downer for a start, but when you TRY a merge you're in for a surprise.
You begin by telling the system you want to merge the contact, company and other records, and get presented with a screen allowing you to map fields. Things seem to kick off fairly well, ACT only requires 68% of your AMD Athlon 64 CPU time, but that's because their own sql server instance grabs the other 32%.
Grudgingly the progress bars move across the screen as groups, then companies, then contacts, then notes are imported. Hey it looks like we might get somewhere.
But no ! Disaster looms. When you're 90% of the way home, ACT starts to import the histories. The progress bar gets half way over ... and then it stops. Forever. Run WinXP Task manager and you'll see ACT now has 97% of your CPU time, with Sql Server claiming the other 3%. I left this go for FOUR DAYS thinking the occasional hdd flash meant something, but alas no.
Hitting cancel gives you another couple of days looking at a screen where the developer can't be bothered to insert the VB.NET equivalent of the VB6 "DoEvents" keyword.
My fourteen year old daughter has written better behaved code than this. Hell, I've sacked people for releasing code in this state.
Pros There are no pros.
Cons Quit working after 30 days
Summary Program quit working after 30 days. Spent two days fixing it. Quit working again. Couldn't uninstall or reinstall it. Wasted 150 hours making database, they want $300 an hour to talk to me about their problem. They took a great program (ActWin) and made it so huge and complicated it doesn't even run. Mine is in the garbage.
"Fatal Flaw"on by hvypetals
Pros Pretty interface
Cons Clumsy dbase sharing - Cant backup - :0(
Summary ACT unfortunately has a special version of SQL that locks its databases and so you cant back them up unless you want to do it manually everyday from workstation to server and then server to your nightly backup. A third party app called autoadmin III does the trick conveniantly enough, although not offically supported by ACT you can find it at Actaddons.com. Ive got a lot of servers, and a lot of apps running off them and this ACT is the only one that "locks its own files." Even with ARCServ client agent for open files and MS SQL client - still nothing. Talked to their techs and everything. World class suck.
Pros User interface is nice
Cons Freezes up for no reason 8 to 10 times a day. Backups take over 8 hours. The sql SU password is not given. The dedupe tool is one at a time manual removal...etc etc etc
Summary I hate this product. We purchased 25 seats as upgrade to Act 5, and have had nothing but problems ever since. Best has already released 3 updates and several patches, but none seem to address major problems with this software. It's underlying database structure is bloated and cumbersome. Many of the great features from Act 5 and 6 have been removed, and I still can't figure out why. DON"T BUY THIS. Get goldmine or lotus notes or make due with what you have. Act7 or 2005 has made my life as a network admin HELLLL!!!