- Drive type: Portable hard drive
- Capacity: USB 2.0 only: 80GB, 120GB (5,400rpm); triple interface: 80GB, 100GB, and 120GB (5,400rpm; 7,200rpm for 100GB version)
- Capacity of test unit: 100GB (triple interface version)
- Cache: 8MB
- Dimension: 3.5 by 1 by 5.7 inches (WxHxD); 8.8 ounces
- Notable design features: Backup button, rubber bumper, scratch-resistant aluminum case
- Connection options: FireWire 800 (9-pin) port; FireWire 400 (6-pin) port; mini USB 2.0 port
- OSs supported: Mac OS 10.x and Mac OS 9.x; Windows 98 SE/Me/2000
- Software included (on CD): LaCie 1-Click backup software; Silverkeeper backup software (for Macs only); Silverlining
- Any additional features: Comes with all necessary cables
- Service/support: One-year warranty; phone support Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PT (toll call); Web site support: FAQs, manuals, drivers, online help-request form; hardcopy quick-install guide; LaCie Utilities CD-ROM with user manual.
We were very impressed with the performance of the LaCie Rugged All-Terrain Hard Drive. It was among the fastest external hard drives we've tested, including products with faster drives and larger caches. Using the FireWire 400 interface, the drive took less than 10.5 minutes to write our 10GB test folder of mixed file types and slightly more than 9 minutes to read back the same folder. In comparison, it wrote the data just a little slower than the LaCie Little Big Disk, which has twice the cache. On the other hand, the Rugged All-Terrain drive is a few seconds faster than the Little Big Disk when reading. The LaCie Rugged All-Terrain drive is the first drive we've tested with the FireWire 800 interface, and and what a speed improvement it is over FireWire 400: 8.6 minutes to write and 7.6 minutes to read our test folder.
We were completely happy with the drive's performance and design. It's very fast, quiet, and rugged.