"Does what it does quite well, room for improvement"4.0 starson by hnice
Pros: Video playback is snappy and clear, well-integrated with amazon, hulu and netflix work well. Obviously, price.
Cons: Speaker's not great at high volumes. Battery life is nothing special. No download of Prime Free videos.
Summary: I've had this thing for a day, and here's the take:
* It is well integrated with Amazon, but it's not locked to it. Hulu and Netflix work just fine. And the integration to Amazon is scarily simple and effective. Hooooooly conversion rate.
* Overall performance is quite snappy. I hate touchscreens, but this one seems fine.
* Video performance is really nice.
* Network performance is also quite nice.
* Audio's not so hot, mostly because of the speaker. Headphones or a dock and it's fine, but I really would have hoped for better. Clock-radio-y.
* Apps do what apps do -- I really wish there was a Sim City for it, because, you know, I'd like my wife to divorce me for ignoring her. So maybe it's better that there's not. Anyway.
* Email and browsing are entirely adequate.
In closing: it's a media-consumption device, and a really great one, for cheap. It doesn't do what the iPad does, but if you're like me and don't think that a touchscreen keyboard actually is a keyboard, you don't like doing that stuff on a tablet, anyway. Speaker not really impressive. But otherwise, it does what it does really well, and the price is right.