"Great unit if and when it works"1.5 starson by AJShadow
Pros: - HD recording and playback - Very sharp images
- Easy to use once you get used to the menu setup
- Setup is so easy
- No more DVDs lying all over the place
Cons: - Customer service people read from a script and know nothing about the unit
- You must demand to speak to tech support to get anything fixed.
- Device re-boots in the middle of watching a recording
- Device automatically deletes all timer settings
Summary: There are so many problems with this unit that I do not know where to start.
To begin with, this device is NOT ready for prime time. Too many bugs and no one that knows how to fix them. Here is a list of all the problems I've experienced and you too will if you purchase this device:
1. Unit freezes
2. Device re-boots while watching a recording
3. Device will delete ALL of your timer settings EVERY TIME! I can no longer record anything because of this.
4. Customizing the receiver is easy if it only kept the settings.
5. TV Guide can only display less that 12 hours in advance - another problem or could this be a design feature? I hope not.
6. Setup Menu thus far has worked well, allowing me to change things on the fly and access the digital video recording features - so far anyways!
Bottom line: Really nice recorder if it only worked as advertised. Mine is going back for a new one because tech support could not figure out what was wrong with my device. I am hoping that the new one works better (Please God!).
Too bad about all these problems because when it works right it is a great recorder!