Pros 1. It works for viewing Netflix quite well with an ethernet cable attached.
2. It plays .flac. .wav, .ogg and quite a number of other file formats.
3. Small and portable size.
Cons 1. Cannot stream directly from computer's browser.
2. Would be nice if it upconverted to 1080p.
3. Needs to have wifi integrated into the box. Having to purchase a wifi dongle is a rip off.
4. User interface needs file search feature.
Summary 1. The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ cannot stream directly from your computer's browser to watch Hulu and other sites. This device needs to be able to do that to be worth its price.
Seagate's documentation is misleading in regard to this. The only way you can stream a movie from your computer to the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ is through a "hard file" placed in your shared folder. I want stream Hulu and other programs available on my computer's browser directly on my television and the latest version (avail Jan. 2011) of the FreeAgent Theater+ does not do this.
2. The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ needs to be able to upconvert to 1080p. This device needs to be able to do that to be worth its price.
3. The price is ridiculous in consideration of the fact that you need to purchase a Wifi dongle to free yourself from an ethernet cable. Wifi should be integrated into the box itself for a more streamlined, less awkward appearance, useage and increased portability. Users don't need a bunch of extra objects hanging off their equipment. Streamlined and integrated is what is desired.
4. FreeAgent Theater+ needs direct links to more internet services, such as Pandora and Hulu.
5. Seagate needs to improve FreeAgent Theater+'s interface, because it takes forever to navigate to your desired files on an attached hard drive. A search and choose feature would be nice, but is not really a deal breaker.
6. The cheap-ee made in China remote control does not respond sometimes and skips other times.
Summation: Seagate needs to consider its direct competition, namely Roku Streaming Player, WD TV Network Media Players, and Sony Network Media Player. However, Roku and Sony will loose out if they fail to produce a media player that plays .flac and the other media formats supported by Seagate FreeAgent Theater+.
Pros USB ok up to 32 gig
Cons Hard Drives sucks starting at 120 gig
Summary Not a good buy
Pros ez 2 set up
youtube added HD and IT ROCKS
can do my back ups on the drive ez too
streaming netflix eliminates most dvd mailings
Just a great additional option that I use reguraly
I've only had it 6 months, give me time.
Pros I plugged the Theater+ into my wireless router next to the TV, it updated its firmware in 10 min. I set my laptop to share folders over the network, I was able to watch all my media on the TV. NO NEED TO BUY AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE. Excellent quality!
Cons None so far, after 1 month.
Summary This is a quality piece of electronics, with great features, and it is very easy to use. I would recommend it.
Pros Ease of use
Supported Video and Audio Codecs
Cons File listing of Shared Network Drives is less than optimum...
Summary If you have a significant amount of digital media (videos and photos) a multimedia palyer is a must. I do. The FreeAgent Theater+ fit the bill very well
I had it out of the box, installed, and viewing photos in less than 5 minutes.
Home Videos I have stored on disk play without a hic-up
It plays the HD (.ts file format) recodings from my Beyond TV DVR over the network perfectly
Some Finer Points
(1) The Remote is the perfect size with just the right amount of buttons
(2) The size of the Theater+ is small and doesn't take up much space
(3) If you use the optional Wireless Adapter in the front USB Port it seems to get in the way of the remotes signal....
(4) Navigating the home network is a breeze
(5) Did a firmware upgrade and it is very very simple
(6) You-tube is a nice addition (it would be nice if there was an external keyboard rather than the screen point and click keyboard for searches...maybe some sort of wireless thing that plugs into the front USB)
What could be better?
(1) On the remote, have a button to momentarily light the other buttons (it is a bit awkward in the dark when watching a flick to find the pause/play button)
(2) Include some sort of a web browswer (need a keyboard though)
(3) File listings could have a better implementation
Overall it is a great little box....so much so that I purchaed two more after the first