"The best gadget I bought in the last two years!"5.0 starson by ehuna
Pros: Watch live or recorded TV from anywhere in the world, easy to setup
Cons: Price is $250 (although worth every penny)
Summary: Both the hardware (SlingBox) and the software (SlingPlayer) work great. None have crashed in almost a week of use. Here's how I have used it:
1) Laptop in backyard, watched Brazilian soccer and the Giants beat the Dodgers while writing a few articles for my blog.
2) Watched the Giants beat the Dodgers again in my "office at home" while writing some code. My VGA has an S-VIDEO out option. Went to Circuit City and bought a TV and I can now watch anything full screen while having the Slingplayer minimized. This rocks!
3) While cooking some good spaghetti, placed the laptop on the kitchen counter and watched "Six Feet Under". I think I'll cook a bit more now that I've got any show, including live Baseball/Football.
4) Went to my buddy's place, and installed the Slingplayer on his XP. He was amazed at how well it works. He travels a lot to Korea, so he'll be getting one on Monday!
5) Went to my Mom's and showed her how cool this is. She likes the French channel, so she'll be watching it a few programs I recorded on one of the three ReplayTVs we have. The streaming from one ReplayTV to another works great, and the streaming from the "Slinged" ReplayTV to my Mom's DSL worked without a glitch. I think I'm going to have to buy a second Slingbox since my Mom will probably be using it a lot.
Going to the Microsoft PDC in September and there are some critical World Cup qualifiers then - thank God for Slingbox!!