"You get more than what you paid for :) in my opinion!"4.0 starson by Punkeh
Pros: Small size, attractive display, awesome firmware updates, light weight, great sounds
Cons: battery display, vulnerable plastic touch screen, characters from different languages not supported
Summary: While most complain about the m-trip software, I would say it's great, easy to learn. I know most would prefer the freedom of syncing songs onto their mp3 but you already get more than what you pay for in this mp3 package. You get a cradle, AC adapter, mp3 USB, Earphones with extension, the mp3 itself and of course, mtrip software.
I'll tell you the great things first then the bad afterwards:
1. Its small size is convenient for travelling with it, and yet it is light as well so you don't feel like you're carrying a bulky thing in one pocket.
2. It's red/semi-orange LCD display is attractive to the eye, different from other mp3s out there. Before you complain about your eyes watering from the brightness, you can set the contrast in the device settings.
3. The sound is amazing, I previously had a Sony mp3 player but jeezus it was crap compared to this. I've tested out other mp3 players like Zen iPod and it doesn't come as close but it's almost perfect . Volume can be increased through the firmware updates Olympus has on their site, so that problem is fixed as well.
4. Sensitive touch screen, great so you don't have to tap it so hard on the screen. The reason why you have to tap twice is because you might have to stop/pause the previous song then tap again to PLAY the new song/album/whatever you selected. It's not a glitch!
5. Shock repellent... <-- does that even make sense? I dropped it about... 5 times and even chipped the corners etc with all the grey/silver off. Still works like a charm.
Okay, onto the bad news folks.
1. The battery display is the ONLY defective thing. It will always display 100% full battery no matter what...you play your mp3 player then all of the sudden your song is just cut off then you go "***?" right? Battery is out. I think it's just there to "prettify" things heh.
2. The screen is VERY scratch sensitive. I had the protective layer for a short time, about 3 weeks then it peeled away I was sad, I tried getting a screen protector but it wouldn't stay on so I had no choice but to use it without anything to protect it. Tip: Keep it in a pocket or pouch that you can buy/make yourself.
3. I transferred Final Fantasy songs onto my mp3 and of course they have Japanese characters on the title... unfortunately the mp3 player/mtrip software can't read them when the player itself SUPPORTS different languages. Bothered me when all I read for the different songs were squares questions marks and slashes. ALIEN LANGUAGE WOO... Not.
Okay that's about it. I can definitely say this is a solid mp3 player I had it for 2 years now still works perfectly and only started to have 2 freezes so far when playing a song during this last month. Go for it if you want JUST a music/lyric player.
I know they don't make this product anymore but heh, just writing a review for fun and to get the facts straight.