"Good, but Polar S625X is better"3.5 starson by adamar
Pros: Quality Construction and excellent custom workout creation software
Cons: Poor HR strap, no bike functions and limited customization
Summary: This review is based on using the Nike Triax for 3 months and the Polar S625X for about 6 months.
The Nike Triax is a good unit, but for about the same price, it does not compare to the Polar S625X. I purchased the Nike Triax first, mainly because the Polar was not availabe, yet. Luckily, I purchased it at REI, so I was able to return it even after 3 months. I returned it due to the poor strap, which I believe has a design flaw. The tab that connects and disconnects broke off. With closer inspection, that tab is so thin, I am surprised it lasted even 3 months. The cost to replace was, I think, about $15, but I did not want to have to spend $15 every 3 months to replace. Also, at that time I had a chance to see the Polar and it seemed to be a better unit.
Reasons why the Polar is better:
1. Better strap quality. No problems after 6 months of use. Also the new Wearlink Polar strap is much more comfortable. Except for the small hard plastic transmit unit, about 1 inch long,the strap is all soft material. Compared to the Nike strap (similar to the old Polar strap). This trap has about 8 inches of hard plastic.
2. Bike functions. Polar is compatible with speed, cadence and power sensors. The Nike Triax has a bike icon on the screen, but does not have bike functions. Possibly, can add functions in the future.
3. Polar has much better software. Many more graph options and alot easier to view and track data.
4. Polar has alot more functions. VO2 max, Fitness Tests, estimates max heart rate, altitude, temperature, etc.
5. Polar buttons are better located and more difficult to push(a good thing for me). With the Nike, the stop button is on the right side of the watch and easy to push. Sometimes while working out, I would lift my wrist a little to far and accidently push the stop button.
6. The Polar allows you to view 3 pieces of information at the same time, compared to 2 with the Nike. Also, the Nike displays are set. I think there were 4 or 5 set combinations that could not be customized. The Polar allows you to view your HR with any other two pieces of information you choose and can be easily customized and switched on the go.
Advantanges of the Nike Triax:
1. I would say slighly higher quality. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the Nike a 9 and the Polar an 8. The Nike seems to have a more substantial feel to it.
2. If you are into developing you own custom workouts, the Nike software is much more flexible and powerful.
3. I prefered the style of the Nike better. I felt I could also wear it as an everyday watch. The Polar is more of a workout only watch.
4. Nike light works a bit better. Little easier to see the data when it starts getting dark.
5. All batteries on the Nike are user replaceable. On the Polar, the speed sensor and strap batteries are user replaceable, but the watch supposedly is not. You need to send it in the the factory. You can replace it, but it may no longer be water restitant.
Both units are extremely accurate. Polar just gives you alot more for the money.