"Honest Review of VISTA Ultimate"1.0 starson by JesseThe
Pros: Bitlocker makes it worthwhile
Cons: Bloated XP Version worth only on new computers
Summary: I am a member of the Microsoft Development Network, which can cost up to US$12,000/year. Yes, my group does develop for Windows. Microsoft did a good job with .NET and SQL Server. These products can win the market based on quality.
HOWEVER, I am quite disappointed with VISTA. Until its release I have been using the beta versions. VERY SLOW, but we were always told that it obviously had all the debugging turned on. (for the less techie these are tools and compiler switches that help find bugs. We all use them during development.)
MY BIG Surprise was when I bought one of the first commercial version of the VISTA Ultimate. To the less informed here is my big list of griefs:
1. Stability is NOT a problem. Microsoft has a bad reputation, but Windows 2000 was already very stable and WINDOWS XP Service Packs 2 (SP2) is very solid. Windows 2003 (yes it exists) has caused the tsunami of Linux servers to reduce its progression on the server side. And LINUX IS A VERY SOLID stable and fast SYSTEM ON THE SERVER SIDE!
So telling everybody that VISTA is more stable than XP SP2 is a waste of time. This ship sailed from the port years ago.
2. Speed. We hear that "so and so is using their system and noticed no reduction in speed", or that "my boss complained for 256Mb years ago" is showing little knowledge of the present status of the Windows Operating System. For example, WINDOWS 2003 is up to 3 times faster that Windows 2000 Server. The W2003 file system is now as fast as the ones in LINUX.
So Microsoft does have the know-how and the ability to make a faster OS.
I certainly cannot believe those nice review from magazines on VISTAS. Can any one tell me if these writers are bought ?
3. Imitation: this one does not bother me anymore. If VISTA was imitated or not the fact is that the Japanese in the 80s and 90s also imitated a lot. However, they always improved the imitation over the original. This imitation improvement DID not happen to VISTA.
4. Fancy tools - Well, the widgets (gadgets in VISTA) that I have (since the old Konfabulator, now YAHOO) work better than the imitation ones in VISTA. As a simple example, I cannot get my city, or nearby region, weather conditions on VISTA widget. On the AERO looks and nice themes and all I had Windowsblind to get very similar results, but way faster responses!
As a final note, even for the mouse pointer I still use Cursor XP, which is way ahead to the one provided by VISTA.
NOTE that Microsoft dumped the really cool things that VISTA was going to have along these last 5 years. With these dropped revolutionary technologies VISTA would indeed be the very best. That is not the case.
4. COST - Well, as a commercial company they have to charge. The point that I make to myself is that I will not by any more upgrades for my company because it does not add anything new to me. Does it to you ?
5. Security - Unlike stability, security is a major concern with any of the Windows versions. HOWEVER, for home users there free solutions AVG (GRISOFT), Kasperki, etc... And for as low as US25 you can get great packages with real firewalls, anti-everything...
Finally, WOW in the VISTA ads is from Bill Gates and Balmer saying: "5 Billion Dollars and that is ALL we Got!"
I am NOT be happy with this bloated XP version, where the only changes are cosmetic!
That is it.