"brings back old-school gaming"3.5 starson by Garaboncias
Pros: 1. a tactical combat system that requires some skill
2. unique-looking zones, bosses and enemies
3. cold and oppressive atmosphere
4. raw and gritty graphics
5. the game has just the right difficulty
Cons: 1. no engaging storyline
2. characters have no personality
3. virtually no dialogue
4. lack of basic information in the game makes you too dependent on Web sources
5. combat quickly becomes repetitive
6. open-world in theory, not in practice
Summary: If you play games for the sake of the storyline this is the wrong game for you, Dark Souls is all about combat and exploration.
If you are looking for an RPG in the true sense, expecting this game to be another Dragon Age, Oblivion or Fable game, then this is also wrong game for you. Interactive dialogues and strong characterizations is what truly makes an RPG, and Dark Souls has none of this. Dark Souls has more in common with action-adventure games than it does RPGs.
So if you are looking for a more elaborate Adventure game you should give this game a chance, if you are looking for an RPG look elsewhere.